Mosquitoes and Florida are an inevitable pair! These pests can often be active year-round, depending on the weather trends for the current year. For Ocala homeowners, getting ready for mosquito season is crucial to ensure they don’t take over your yard and ruin your outdoor fun! Check out our tips and tricks for keeping the buzz out of your Florida yard this year!
Mosquito Season Prevention Tips
- Eliminate Standing Water: One of the best ways to eliminate mosquito activity around your property is to remove standing water throughout, as they need water to breed and survive. Inspect your property and look for items that hold water and remove them as soon as possible, including clogged gutters, buckets, flowerpots, bird feeders, old tires, and wheelbarrows.
- Remove Hollow Areas: Low lying ditches will collect water and attract mosquitoes onto your Ocala property. If you have these areas, look to fill them in with dirt. Likewise, if there are logs and stumps in your yard, remove them to keep these pests from using them as shelter in the colder months.
- Tidy Your Yard: Mosquitoes prefer tall grass, shrubbery, and damp woodpiles, making it important to maintain your lawn by mowing your grass and cutting your shrubs back regularly. Also, if you’re storing firewood on your property, make sure it’s at least 20 feet away from your home and elevated off the ground.
- Consider Mosquito-Repelling Plants: Citronella, marigolds, lavender, thyme, and basil are all plants that can deter mosquitoes away! These plants contain oils that mosquitoes tend to avoid, making it an easy mosquito control option by planting them throughout your property!
- Keep Screens in Good Repair: The smallest crack or gap can lead mosquitoes right into your home! Consider screening your doors and windows if you haven’t already done so and make sure they’re in good repair throughout the year.
It’s never too early to start your mosquito prevention. Give your local pest control company a call to set up a free inspection. These professionals will be able to provide you with a comprehensive mosquito control plan and prevention tips to avoid their activity in the future.