What? Why would we give you the second best way to get rid of bed bugs
? What kind of second-rate blog are we running here anyway? Well, the truth is, the best way is a bit impractical. But, if you really must know, we'll cover it quickly before we get onto the way that will actually help you prevent bites and keep bed bugs from traveling back home with you during your upcoming trip.
The Best Way To Avoid Bed Bugs
If you're an overachiever, and your goal is 100% protection from bed bugs while on vacation, there is really only one way to do achieve complete protection.
- Step 1: Purchase a hazmat suit for everyone in your family, including your pets.
- Step 2: When you stay somewhere, leave your luggage in the car.
- Step 3: Keep suits on during your entire stay.
- Step 4: Upon departure, spray the exterior of all suits with toxic chemicals that are proven to kill bed bugs on contact. Don't worry, you'll be safe inside those hot, stuffy, ridiculous-looking suits.
The 2nd Best Way To Avoid Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are tiny insects that are difficult to detect, and sometimes impossible to avoid. That is just how it is. But, there are some preventative measures you can implement to reduce your chances of being bitten, or accidentally carrying these pests home with you.
- Check bedbugregistry.com, or do a detailed search for the term "bed bugs" on the review site of your choice. While an isolated bed bug report should not keep you from staying somewhere, several reports can show a pattern of negligence. You can also learn a lot from a review that speaks of bed bugs. It will reveal how a business handles this problem. If a review says, "They offered to move us to another room for free!!! and give us a complimentary such and such!!! Can you believe it?" You should see this as a good thing. This shows that the establishment takes care of its guests. Bed bugs are not usually a widespread issue, especially when there are routine bed bug inspections being done, so it is safe to move guests to another room that is not adjacent to the infested room.
- When you arrive at the place you'll be staying, it is important to do a quick inspection of your room. If it is not too inconvenient, leave your luggage in your vehicle while you do your inspection. Not only will this prevent your bags from getting bugs in them, it will be much nicer to bring your bags up to one room, instead of carting them to a second room because you found bugs in the first.
- An inspection can be as simple or as detailed as you want to make it. The more detailed the inspection, the greater your protection will be.
- For a simple inspection, pull up the sheets on all beds and search the seams and corners of all mattresses and boxsprings for black residue, black streaks, tiny black droppings, brown stains, tiny white eggs, or six-legged insects. Bed bugs can be pale, tan, or rust-colored, and they range in size from 1 to 4.5 millimeters.
- For a detailed inspection, include a search of all bedding, sheets, pillowcases, backboards, alarm clocks, baseboards, outlet covers, and upholstered furniture.
- During your stay, consider keeping your luggage in plastic bags to keep bed bugs out. Use a luggage rack or a table to keep your suitcases elevated while open. Refrain from leaving clothes on the floor or draped over chairs.
- When you return home, be sure to wash and dry all your clothing on the hottest temperature. This will destroy bed bugs in all stages of development, especially eggs. Bed bug eggs do not need the mother to hatch. They can hatch on their own, and begin an infestation.
While this "2nd Best Way To Avoid Bed Bugs," isn't foolproof, it will definitely keep you safer. If bed bugs manage to sneak their way into your belongings and find their way into your home, call a professional pest control company to eradicate them. This is a pest problem that can persist for several months, even years, when improper pest control measures are taken.
If you're in our service area, call McCall. We know the "best" way to get rid of bed bugs from homes and businesses. And we get rid of them every time.