It's the holiday season in Jacksonville, FL, once again, a time when you pick out your tree, bring it home and decorate it with lights, garland, and tinsel. It's also the season when pest insects, rodents and other critters invade homes and hunker down for the long winter. If you want to protect your tree from moths and other pests, McCall Service has a few tips to get you started.
How to Keep Pests Out of Your Christmas Trees
Artificial Christmas Trees
Pests can easily mistake an artificial tree for a real one, especially if it's scented or you spray evergreen air freshener on it. The branches also give critters a good place to hide out for the winter. Follow our tips to keep pests out of your artificial tree during the holidays:
- Take the tree out of storage and bring it on the porch if the weather allows it.
- Empty the box and shake all the branches to knock off stinkbugs and other pests.
- Afterward, bring the tree inside and assemble it.
- Make sure to seal any window and doors gaps to keep rodents and insects outside.
Real Christmas Trees
Nothing beats the smell of a real pine tree inside your home on Christmas. Bugs also love the scent and will build their homes within the needles and branches. It's not unusual to find spider webs on your tree during the holiday. Follow these tips to stop pests from using your tree as a home:
- Vigorously shake the tree before bringing it inside your home.
- Inspect the branches for webs and other signs of pests.
- Plug up any entry points around windows or other spots where you've placed your tree.
- Avoid spraying pest control products directly on the tree; it could cause a fire.
Don’t Let Insects Crash Your Party
Don't let insects, rodents, and other critters ruin your Christmas. Contact McCall Service to request a quote and to protect your home and tree. Our experienced professionals will inspect your home, apply effective treatments and keep moths and other pests out of your home for good this holiday season in Jacksonville, FL.